Apple has launched the new operating system iOS 4.2 which finally brings iPad, the iPhone, and iPod touch under the same roof. This mobile OS has been one of the most awaited releases from Apple in the recent years.
Let us take a closer look at some of the important things that you need to know about the iOS 4.2:
- First and foremost iOS 4.2 brings the capabilities of iOS 4 multitasking to the iPad. This is the biggest improvement over the last operating system.
- The AirPlay feature allows you to stream media from your iOS device to your Apple TV or third-party equipment. It allows you to stream pictures, audio, and video from any supported app – which includes the built-in iPod, Music, Videos, iTunes, and YouTube apps. Third parties like Bowers & Wilkins, Denon, Marantz, JBL, and iHome have already announced their AirPlay compatible devices.
- It brings in AirPrint which allows you to print directly from your iOS device to certain compatible printers. This however doesn’t work with printers shared from a Mac or a PC. You will need a compatible HP eSmart printer or check online to see if your printer will work with any of these devices.
- The new OS expands the available tones for when you get a text message and lets you change the font for the Notes app (under Settings -> Notes). You can also now choose to have the hardware buttons not change the alert or ringer volume along with the volume of media you’re playing back, a welcome fix for many who have accidentally quieted their alarms.
- You can search for text on a Webpage; control Voice Over from a wireless keyboard. It also has integrated many languages and added dictionaries to support Arabic, Greek and Hebrew.
- Parental controls allow parents to restrict kids from installing and deleting apps, changing account information, and playing multiplayer games or adding friends in Game Center.
To upgrade your iPhone, iPod or iPad you need to have iTunes installed and then simply plug your device into your computer and follow the prompts.
If you get stuck, your Toronto computer support team at Dynamix can offer assistance to your Mississauga, Markham or Toronto business.
Comments are closed.